Monday 30 July 2018

25 - Dory Addendum

Although I indicated in the last post that I was finished with the model, I decided to make one last addition. Jenson includes a diagram of the dory burtons, the arrangement of blocks used to launch and recover the dories when the Bluenose was on the fishing grounds.

Dory burtons (Jenson).

As I was not familiar with the term 'burton', I referred to "JIM STEIN’S NAUTICAL TERMS" for enlightenment. According to Mr Stein:
Burton. A tackle, rove in a particular manner.
  • A single Spanish burton has three single blocks, or two single blocks and a hook in the bight of one of the running parts.
  • A double Spanish burton has three double blocks.
Since this is a model of the original Bluenose, I felt it only appropriate that this launch set-up be replicated on the model. As I had built two dories to nest on the deck, it was a simple matter to remove one and secure it to the launch rigging, which is supported from the main and fore cross tress.

I think Jenson took some liberties with his drawing, as in reality, the dory hooks will not remain vertical but rather assume an angle oriented towards their respective cross tree. In order to replicate Jenson's depiction, I added a restraining line to keep the hooks vertical and improve the look of the block layout.

Here are a couple of shots of the end result.

And finally, I fabricated a few barrels and buckets to add to the deck layout, as well as another set of oars and a wrapped sail for the dory that is now in the launch position.

Miscellaneous items.

And that should be a wrap. Waiting for a nice sunny day - winter doesn't want to fade away, it seems - to get some natural light shots of the finished model.


No comments:

Post a Comment